Suburban Recreational Vehicle Water Heaters
Affected Model numbers are SW6PA, SW6DEA, SW6DA, SW4DEA, SW4DA, SW4DECA and SW6DECA with serial numbers between 181315552 and 193002648 (some serial numbers may end with a 'D') and between 8183311827 and 8190201139.Available for sale by Coast RV Pty Ltd between 1 May 2018 and 25 September 2019
DEFECT The flange securing the burner heat exchanger tube to the internal front fascia of the appliance may not be properly formed. During use on gas, hot water services with the defect may emit carbon monoxide into the caravan or motor home.
HAZARD If the unit is powered by gas and is operated in an enclosed area – such as caravan or motorhome - carbon monoxide may spill into the vehicle and poisoning could occur resulting in serious illness, injury or death.
WHAT TO DO Consumers should immediately check if their appliance is affected and if so, cease using the appliance powered by gas.
To identify affected appliances: open the exterior access door to the hot water service and check the model and serial number located on the right hand side.
Affected Model numbers are SW6PA, SW6DEA, SW6DA, SW4DEA, SW4DA, SW4DECA and SW6DECA with serial numbers between 181315552 and 193002648 (some serial numbers may end with a 'D') and between 8183311827 and 8190201139. Manufactured between 4 April 2018 and 1 August 2019.
- All water heaters in the recall range will be inspected by a licensed gasfitter to ensure a fully formed flange and the water heaters are properly installed.
- Water heaters that do not have a fully formed flange will be replaced by a licensed gasfitter. All water heaters not properly installed will be remedied to ensure proper installation by a licensed gasfitter.
- Water heaters within the recall range will be combustion tested by a licensed gasfitter with the capability to conduct such testing. If the combustion test fails then the water heater will be replaced.
- As an added precaution to ensure public safety, the supplier will install a carbon monoxide(CO) alarm in every caravan where the water heater has been inspected, tested and passed.
Coast RV Pty Ltd will check every unit to ensure the water heater is properly installed and there is no infiltration of combustion by-products into the living area.
- The Suburban Nautilus instantaneous (gas only) water heater; or
- An equivalent competitive model.
A possible future option may be a new model Suburban storage water heater if AGA certification is achieved.
Coast RV Pty Ltd will cover the costs relating to the supply and installation of the new water heater, and any required associated work (e.g. modification of cavity and gas and/or water lines). Coast RV Pty Ltd will offer compensation for any additional consequential loss suffered by the consumer where there is damage or devaluation to the caravan or motorhome attributed to the installation of a replacement water heater. Consequential loss will be determined on a case by case basis.
Consumers with affected appliances should contact Coast RV’s dedicated recall hotline on 02 9645 7685 for further information or to arrange an inspection.
See productsafety.gov.au for Australian produt reall information.